Music and Concert Video
I’m a specialist in producing videos of musical performance. With a conservatoire degree, I’m ideally qualified to create films of live concerts and that explore the subject matter.
Here are some examples of performance films I’ve produced. Look over here for promos and films about music.
Britten Pears Young Artists at Aldeburgh Festival
I produced 12 concert films at Aldeburgh Festival, celebrating 50 years of the Britten Pears Young Artist Programme.
All cameras, sound and editing by me except as listed below:
- Lotte Betts-Dean - solo voice and electronics
- Ana Manastireanu & Maria Hegele - solo recital of Schubert
- Trio Mazzolini - string trio
- TIDE - contemporary chamber opera in the round (additional camera operator John Fensom)
- Natalie Burch / James Way / Lotte Betts-Dean -song recital
- Wohin - Where to? - choose-your-own adventure dramatic song recital
- BBC Singers - premiere of Omri Kochavi work (sound by BBC)
- Slide Action - trombone quartet recital
- Animal Farm - roaming opera by Jasmine Morris (sound by Mike Challis)
- Siân Dicker - song recital in relaxed setting
- Katy Thomson - song recital with piano trio
- Robin Haigh: The Dreamers - premiere of chamber orchestra work with trombone quartet solo (additional camera by Liv Penny)
Award-winning music video for Perhaps Contraption
After filming several videos with GoPros attached to instruments for Perhaps Contraption, GoPro got in touch to ask if I had any ideas for 8 GoPro cameras and their new range of instrument mounts.
We made this video under the A12 in East London, and it went on to win a GoPro Edit Award and cash prize (which of course went straight into more camera equipment...)
Jess Gillam and Zeynep Özsuca recital capture
After filming a showreel for the Jess Gillam Ensemble, Jess asked if I could produce a concert recording for her to be published by the Washington Library of Congress.
Jess and Zeynep Özsuca performed to camera at Saffron Hall.
Cameras, lighting and editing by Matt Jolly.
Sound and additional cameras by Alex Barnes of Apple and Biscuit Recordings.
Dudamel & SBOV at The Southbank Centre
I was the producer for the Southbank Centre’s first live streamed concerts from Royal Festival Hall way back in 2012.
The two concerts played on a big screen in the hall’s foyer and on the Guardian’s website.
The director was BAFTA and Emmy award winning Chris Swann, and our crew also produced content to run in the intervals and be published later on.
String quartet music video
I filmed two pieces in a different styles during one session in Snape Maltings Concert Hall.
The first was a very recent piece about the 2020 Beirut explosion, which I lit in a more dramatic way. And the second was some 19th-century romantic music, lit in a more standard way.
Lighting, filming, audio recording and editing by Matt Jolly.
Solo piano recital capture
Claire Hammond asked me to capture her recital at Aldeburgh Festival.
Cameras, sound and editing by Matt Jolly.